Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day 8 - More Tools More Time

I spent day 8 in and around the cave which I had affectionately called Refugio. Understanding that an ore tile (I believed it to be iron) was to the left of my entrance, I needed to do some mining in order to expose it. Considering the rock face and the number of tiles, I had the following plan.

O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O
O O O O O O
O O O E O O
O O I
O

I entered at the "E". It was the only other tile that was low enough for me to open and use for an entrance. The "I" was the location of the ore tile, which I eventually determined to be iron. The red "O" path was my plan to get to the ore tile. The last three tiles would need to be mined down so that I would be low enough to stay underground and not upset the dirt above. This was a tedious plan. Each tile would require roughly 50 mining actions. I was able to perform a mining action in roughly 20 seconds. Clearly, this would take a while, so I paced myself.

All the day was spent mining, foraging, botanizing, cooking, eating, and mining again. I did manage to smelt my iron lumps and using my existing tools, I made an iron stone chisel, a grindstone, and my most important tool of the day, a short sword! At the end of day 8 I had managed to come within 3 tiles of my objective. It was a monotonous day but a fulfilling one. All the work was worth it to me though. Finding an iron tile almost immediately was truly a miracle of sorts. I needed that tile to meet most of the objectives of my journey. So I focused all my efforts around that task.

No comments: