Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 18 - Provisions and Ponderings

On day 18 I checked my crops and realized my second crop tile was ready for harvest.  I had delayed making the food storage bin long enough.  With crops being harvested, I needed to make one to keep my crops safe from decay. I set out to collect the logs for the planks I needed.  I also lit the forge so I could smith the large nails.

Constructing the bin was not very difficult, just time consuming.  I failed constantly while making the planks and attaching them was not much easier.  Once the bin was completed, I positioned it so that I would have access to it from the forge and the oven without having to move around.  This would allow me to leave the bulk bin window open and the food bin window open while smithing and cooking respectively.  It was so exciting to empty the pottery bowls of herbs, seeds, and other food stuffs I had been carrying since day 1 into the food bin.  Some items could not be placed in the food bin.  Those items, the acorns, woad, ash, and wemp seeds would go into the bulk bin however.  I was very blessed to have storage bins to use.  I could forage and botanize as much as I wanted and place the items in the appropriate bins for future use. 

Refugio finally looked more like a home than a cave.  Perhaps that was why I noticed myself thinking less and less about my adventure objectives.  I had a great home, lots of resources, plenty of opportunities, and best of all, I could skill-up any or all skills - unlike other MMO's that make you specialize - but I digress....  Needless to say, I think I would have possibly contacted my sponsors and told them to forget about the adventure; I would just stay forever!  But I realized that Surviverman would have many more adventures built upon the skills and experiences of this one - so I slapped myself in the face and returned to reality.  I needed to focus on my goals and work to reach them.  With that thought, I left Refugio and gathered more wood, while foraging and botanizing.  I felt I had fasted long enough. One negative with fasting is that the more you fast, the slower your skills increase.  At least, that was what I had heard from some strangers passing me on the road one day.  This made food an important part of Wurm overall.

It was dark when I returned to get more wood.  I carelessly meandered around for a good tree to drop, and when it was on the ground, I took a load of logs to the bin.  I exited Refugio again to finish the load.  Glancing around I was taken back by a gruesome sight!  Two local villagers were dead on the ground about 15 tiles from Refugio's entrance.  I froze and started scanning the area.  What killed them?  It was as if they dropped while fighting some hideous monster.  Was it that goblin I had seen before?  I debated whether to get the rest of the logs, but I didn't see anything.  I decided to just run and fetch them.  In the distance I heard the sound of a wolf howling.  Scooping up the logs, I raced back as the dawn started to approach.  I waited until full daylight before I foraged again for food.  Returning from a profitable time in the forest, I placed over 25 items in the bulk bins.  In order to make meals I needed one important thing - meat!  Reviewing my objectives, I realized I needed other items from animals.  My first real "hunt" would come very soon, I thought.  Of course, I could also make a fishing pole and do some fishing.  That was a nice thought.

The small barrel I had already made would hold 45 liters of water, but if I had a large barrel I could store 250 liters of water.  I decided to make one.  The difference was more than size.  Large barrels could not be picked up once completed, meaning nobody could steal them. But I was not worried about theft at that point.  I thought it would just be worth it to have a large supply of water for cooking, smithing, and nourishment.  Besides, it was on my list of objectives.  Once the large barrel was completed, I grabbed the small one and my bucket and stepped out of Refugio once again.

I stopped and stared at the corpses and then scanned around for any threats.  Cautiously I headed down the mountain towards the shore.  I was thankful for the highway mainly because I could walk faster while traveling on it.  But also, it was a landmark I could mostly count on.  I say this because the area near Refugio had changed since I had last journeyed from it.  More Wurmians had moved into the area.  New houses, roads, farms, penned animals, and other things had mutated the landscape ever so steadily.  I constantly searched for familiar landmarks so I would not get lost in the growing "metropolis".  Well, it wasn't really a metropolis, but there certainly was much more activity around me. In Wurm, things are always changing.

As I descended to the water I noticed a small boat fixed out in the bay.  It was a row boat, small compared to many I had seen.  Yet, I thought about the difficulties making such a vessel and felt much respect for those who make difficult things in Wurm.  Some items take days to construct - even weeks if done casually.  One day I would make one I thought as I neared the water - and then I stopped dead in my tracks.  I found the source of the howling.  Off to the right of the road was a wolf!  My trip to the shore was providential as I remembered thinking about a hunt hours earlier.  I could not pass up this opportunity.  Just as I mustered the nerve to run in and attack, I noticed he was behind a fence.  I huffed and walked up along the fence to a gate.  Next to the gate was the corpse of a woman.  Beyond the gate was the pasture where the wolf was.  But at the top where the gate was, there was tar.  This was a very dangerous proposition for me and I knew it.  I would have to descend down to the wolf, lead him up, exit the gate, and stand in tar to heal.  Suddenly, the wolf was not so important.  I would not risk my life to kill a wolf that was faster than me at climbing.  I decided to get the water and hunt another day.  Returning ever so slowly, I must admit I reconsidered the fight, passing the quiet wolf on my left.  Perhaps it was for the best.  After all, I had only fought cats - never dogs, and much less a black wolf!  Honestly, I wasn't even sure I could kill him.  But I comforted myself in the knowledge that one day I would be able to kill a wolf and even a bear!

Just as I passed the wolf, I looked down and saw a black mushroom!  Oh, I had to have it!  Any other player would sacrifice it for a healing cover because it is one of the finest ingredients found in all of Wurm.  But I wanted it for my adventure objective.  They are not commonly found.  Dropping my small barrel of water, I raced to the mushroom.  What was this?  I would have to steal it to get it?  I then realized it was because of the fact that it grew inside a village deed.  Dropping my arms to my side and my head to my chest, I returned to the barrel of water.  I could not steal it, not only because it was unethical but because there was a spirit templar (an NPC guard hired by the deed mayor to protect the deed) standing nearby.  He would kill me if I touched the mushroom.  I retrieved my barrel, collected some tar, and headed back to Refugio.

I took a shortcut through a neighbors unfenced deed.  As I struggled along toting my heavy burden, I suddenly heard the shouts of spirit templars yelling, "I will take care of ......".  Someone had been placed on a kill-on-site (KOS) list by a mayor of a village.  He had given his spirit templars orders to kill that person.  Thankfully, it wasn't me!  It was just then that my mind rehearsed the day.  I saw dead bodies near Refugio, a black wolf wanting to eat me, a forbidden mushroom, a poor soul (perhaps a thief even) being attacked by several spirit entities bent on his death.  Wow - Wurm could be a dangerous place, I thought!  I hastened my steps to Refugio as best as I could.  It was truly my place of refuge!

I emptied my cargo of water and tar and decided to go to bed.  The fire in the forge faded and I was tired from all my work.  What a day it had been and I was thankful to have been alive to see it.

No comments: